Wisconsin Women’s Rugby celebrated its 40th anniversary in 2015. In those 40 years, the team has seen its share of success and struggle.
To support future growth and continuing success – both on and off the pitch – the club established an endowment in 2015 thanks to a generous seed donation from coach Bob “Wee Bob” Jafferis.
In early 2019 the endowment was renamed to the Wisconsin Women’s Rugby Leadership Endowment (WWRLE).
The goal of the WWRLE is to promote the participation of women and girls in all levels of rugby, and encourage women’s rugby players to gain leadership skills that will serve themselves and their community.
Examples include: college scholarships for undergrad or graduate students; elite player or coach camps; certification for coaches; and training for referees. The fund will not be used to cover the day-to-day costs of playing or socializing.
Starting in 2018, the WWRLE has been able to provide donations and grants to rugby programs, players, and alumni in the Madison area and Wisconsin. Gifts and grants were given to programs and individuals that fulfilled the WWRLE’s mission.
In 2019 the WWRLE:
- Supported the Great Waters Conference National Small College Rugby Organization (NSCRO) All Star 7s team for the NSCRO All Star Tournament in Florida
- Supported the Wisconsin U24 Women’s 15s Select-Side team
- Awarded two grants for the USA Rugby Level 200 Coaching Certification Course
- Awarded one grant for the USA Rugby Level 1 Referee Certification Course
- Partnered with WWRFC in distributing children’s books to Little Free Libraries in the Madison area
- Awarded pass-through donations and scholarships to: the Elizabeth Godfrey Memorial Rugby Referee Fund; one MadTown Furies high school senior; one UW-Madison Women’s Rugby player; two Monona Grove High School seniors; and the Madison Ballet
To request a grant from the Wisconsin Women’s Rugby Leadership Endowment, please fill out this application.
To help grow the WWRLE, for every fundraising event held by the WWRFC, the team will donate five percent of all proceeds to the endowment in 2016 and beyond, with plans to hopefully increase that amount to 10 percent in future years.
The Wisconsin Women’s Rugby Leadership Endowment is invested with Edwards Jones Financial Advisors in Cottage Grove, Wis., near the Wisconsin Rugby Sports Complex. All donations to the WWRFC and WWRLE are tax deductible.
Annual updates about the WWRLE will be shared with alumni and our supporters through our mailing list and social media updates.
2015 – $3,120.00
2016 – $5,918.53
2017 – $1,858.43
2018 – $4,120.00
2019 – $6,430.71
FUND TOTAL (DONATIONS AND INVESTMENTS) AS OF 12/31/19
HOW TO DONATE:
To donate to the WWRLE, click “Donate” below to donate online via Kindful.
At the moment online donations have been disabled. In the meantime, please donate via check using the following instructions:
Or if you prefer to donate via check, please mail a check payable to “WWRFC” to:
P.O. Box 620102
Middleton, WI 53562
Please add the word “WWRLE” to the memo field of the check, in addition to including your name and address so we can send you a tax receipt for your records.
Questions about the WWRLE can be directed to:
Jenn Johnson, WWRLE Director
Please help share the WWRLE with others and build a brighter future for Wisconsin Women’s Rugby and women’s rugby across our region.